Monday, July 27, 2009

Running Away to Join the Circus

It's something I've actually sorta kinda done, although not really on purpose.

I won't bore you with those details of how it happened, that's for another post, but let's just say that I started off as a bartender and ended up, well, running away and joining the circus.

Have you ever done something one time and then been hooked on it and unable to get it out of your system? That's how the circus got to me. It started off on the flying trapeze, then moved to single trapeze, swinging trapeze, Spanish web, and to a lesser degree, double trapeze. I wanted to learn more. I wanted to fly higher. I wanted to do it all. And I did and it was good.
Here's a little secret: If you want to get in the best shape, possibly of your life, get yourself into some circus classes and take it seriously. It'll take a while, but you will get ripped. There was a point in time where I looked at myself in the mirror and said, "This isn't cute." I was monstrous across the back.

Anywho, the time came when I just couldn't bear to put my liver through another six months of the heavy bag AKA Club Med. There were some great memories and I met some great people, the memories to take, the people to keep in touch with, but the circus! How to take it along?

I found small outlets here and there to get my circus fix. It was never enough. (And it was hardly ever free) I kept at it nonetheless. Because that's what happens when you have an addiction. Both my fiance (Lovey) and my daughter (Kiddo) have given the circus a go-round to some extent. Lovey can do without it; Kiddo loves it although not with my passion. What I really wanted was a way to incorporate family + circus so I can have all the circus I want without the guilt of being away from them.

Two weeks ago, I finally got my wish. In a random conversation, I mentioned that it would be pretty cool if Lovey and I could do double trapeze together. While I expected him to just nod it off, he agreed that it would be pretty neat but said that he was in no shape for it. I told him that I did the majority of the work in the act. But, But, BUT, the conversation got him motivated to get back in the gym! Hooray! And, And, AND, Kiddo is joining in the fun as well!

Now we have family workout/stretching time after work/school and I am well on my way to not running away to join the circus, but instead bringing the circus to me. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment