Monday, December 28, 2009

Breckenridge - The first three days

Wow! I just realized that we've only been here for 2.5 days.  It already seems like much longer, but that's actually pretty fantastic.

We flew in on Christmas day, which is an awesome day to travel if you're not of the mindset of caring when you get somewhere.  The airport was nice and quiet even though our flight was full.  We met another family and a single guy that were all coming to Breck.  We haven't yet run into them, but I figure at some point we may.  Christmas dinner was at The Hearthstone where I had a couple of nice pieces of elk.  The altitude change was not nice to the belly though, and we all ended up a gassy mess, lol.

Saturday we just hung around and checked out the town a little bit.  We had originally planned to do a little warm-up day but decided that we needed the day to continue to adjust to the altitude.  It's nearly 2 miles high here.  Crazy.

Sunday we hit the mountain full force with everyone going into their separate lesson.  Amazingly enough, the place isn't jam packed which meant that Kiddo basically had a private lesson since there was only one other teen in her group and I had a private lesson because no one else signed up for the particular thing that I did.  Lovey also had a private lesson, but that's because he booked it in the first place.  We were all on the mountain from about 9:30 till 3 and let me tell you, at 3, we were all exhausted.  Running 3 miles 3 times a week does absolutely nothing to prepare one for all day on the mountain.

Because it's vacation, I must have a massage (or two).  First massage came from the lovely folks at Blue Sage Spa.  Super nice people, but most people here are.  Deep tissue massage followed by a seaweed therapy detox.  All I can say here is ahhhhhhhhhhh.  We managed to stay up until 10pm(!) 

*SIDEBAR*  I just saw the Charlie Daniels Geico commercial.  So funny.

This morning, we had it planned to go to the grocery store and run a few more errands.  Well, that was, until I could find my driver's license.  We turned the house upside down looking for it to no avail.  I called the massage place and they didn't have it.  I called the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory where I picked up yumminess after my massage and they didn't have it either.  

Panic started to set in.  How in the world was I gonna get home?  On a lesser scale, how could I take part in the champagne toast on New  Year's Eve if I couldn't prove I was old enough to do so?  My mouth started to get dry.  My stomach started to sour.  I have effectively ruined, sorta, vacation.  Our whole crew retraced my steps from last night.  We didn't find anything.  As it is, my head is always full of random thoughts, but everything was even more jumbled now.  I stopped back in the spa and they said I should call the police station to see if anyone had turned it in.  Another bust.  The other half of our crew went into the visitor center to see if anyone had turned it in there but no luck again.  We left them information to get in contact with us if, by some slim chance, someone turned it in.

AT&T service has been spotty at best for the last couple of days here.  That has led to missed and/or dropped calls and NO TWITTER from my phone. Boooo!  As such, I didn't hear my phone when it rang and it took hours for voicemail to show up.  It finally buzzed through when we were in the grocery store.  And you will never believe this, because I still don't believe it and it's happening right in front of my face, but the visitor center called and said that they have my license!!  Some kind soul found my license and turned it in!!  Breckenridge is OFFICIALLY my favorite town in the world now.  I don't know if it was a local or if someone else on vacation, but whoever you are, THANK YOU!!!

Tonight, we're still trying to recover from yesterday and prepare for tomorrow.  We've all decided that a calm day of riding greens rather than the blues and blue-blacks we rode yesterday would be a good idea.

Oh!  Photos!  You can see all of them here.

Also, I haven't forgotten about the blog challenge.  I'm thinking a minimum of three posts a week with a minimum of 100 words.  It's only for bragging rights and getting ourselves into the habit of writing a little more.

That's it for now and I'll be posting more as it's needed.  Hope all's well in each of your respective worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment