Friday, June 4, 2010

Today, it is official

What better way to start your weekend than to get married, right? Well, that's what I'm doing. Even though our "big" ceremony isn't for another week, we're taking care of the legalities today. While we could've done the whole legal wedding in Mexico, they really make it a pain in the butt, so we're getting hitched right here in the States.

It's a bittersweet kinda day. While my mom and brother will be at the big ceremony, I'm still missing so many people. Folks I always imagined would be there when I got married. I realize that people don't live forever, but that fact isn't able to change the little bit of sadness that is trying to creep in.

Reality says that my grandparents likely wouldn't make it to my wedding, particularly seeing as how I've waited damn near forever to actually get married. I really thought that my dad would be there to give me away though. Cancer stole that dream from me. I can only take solace in the thought that they'll all be watching from above and they'll all be happy for me. Maybe they'll even throw their own little party. :-)

I don't suppose that I can reiterate enough how much I am ready to leave Miami. Of all the places that I have lived (and I'll count lived as I stayed there for more than 2 months), Miami is my least favorite. It isn't all that they show you on TV. Actually, it's almost none of that. Sure, there are people living that life you see on TV, but that's not for you and me, unfortunately. I could go on and on about why I'm ready to go, but I won't. Suffice it to say, it's been a long five years.

On a happier, or at least funnier note, I have to try to shop for makeup soon. I also need someone to teach me how to put it on properly. Damn you, Van Meter Road! Growing up with mostly boys I didn't learn this kinda stuff. But hell, I can change oil, tires, and brakes so I guess I'm really a leg up.

There is still much to be done and I keep procrastinating. I guess I really should get moving. Have a wonderful weekend all!

Signed,

The soon to be Mrs. Burkes-Garcia

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm sure it will be a beautiful ceremony and whoever should be there will be there in some way or another.

    Cheers,

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! :-) I'm sure that you're right and my family that couldn't make it will be smiling down on our special day.

    ReplyDelete